Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help at URE on our trail!
OK, here we are. The workday is this coming weekend. I have sent emails out to the USFS and a few guys on NC4x4.

Here is what my thoughts are for the day.

We will meet and sign in at Hunt Camp at 9am unless they change it. We can meet at the Outpost a bit sooner if you guys want to get some food or what not. When we sign in we can get an auger and hopefully the gas drill to bore holes in the posts.

Plan of attack would be to go in from the double parking lot and go down the big hill climb. Our first area to address will probably be the area right after the stream crossing we filled with rocks. Going up the hill from there, we noticed a bypass section formed that we will need to block off. We can try drilling the ground there first and see how it goes.

We will see how the auger goes FIRST. If the ground is too hard to drill, we can quit that idea and use our winches to drag deadfall around and block up the bypasses and illegal off trail areas with it. I don't want us to kill ourselves as it will probably be hot and humid like it's been.

As far as tools required, here are a list of things we could use:

- Chainsaw(s). I will bring 1. If someone else can bring one, please post up.

- Shovel(s). I think we will need a max of 3. I will bring 1.

- Crow bar or spud bar (whichever you prefer to call it). I think it would be good to have 2. I will bring 1.

- Drill to bore holes into the wooden timbers. I hope we can get the gas powered one from the USFS. Does anyone have a backup plan? It would need to be pretty heavy duty and have a bit to bore a 3/4" or so hole into the wooden timbers. I don't have anything here for that.

- Tape measure. 2 would be good. I'll bring 1.

- Battery powered sawzall or cutting disc to cut the rebar to length. I don't have anything for that. Anyone else?

- Hand tools. A few sets would be nice.

- Sledge hammer. 2 would be nice. I will bring 1.

- Tow straps or other means of being able to drag around dead fall or the wooden posts. Nick, do you still have any of those cable clamps? I have an idea to use some of the old steel cable to loop through the posts in order to drag them around as needed.

Thoughts and suggestions are encouraged. Right now, I'm assuming that Clay, Dwight, Nick H, and I will be there. I hope that Clay and Dwight are bringing 'friends' to help us out. If anyone else is coming or can't come, please let us all know. Of course, bring your work gloves, lots of water to drink, and probably some advil or something stronger...

I'd like to wrap up around 1pm or until we've had enough. We would need to give back whatever tools we borrow for the day after we're done. I will be planning to head from there to the lake house on the other side of Badin lake. It is a 25-30 minute drive around the lake from where the URE trails are. The address is:

40404 Palmerville Rd
New London, NC 28127

You all are welcome to hang out for the afternoon. It is not real fancy but is right on the water and we can grill and chill for a bit. I'd just need a head count to know how much food to have there. Dwight, if you want deer meat, you'll have to bring that yourself Big Grin
WE are deer poor at the time as the breaker for the freezer tripped and I lost around 170 lbs. Been having to buy meat the last 2 weeks. Ouch....I will see what tools I can round up. Have a nice small Stihl saw I can bring. The Auger is gonna surprise you all as dry as the ground is not to mention the rocks up there. I think my Nephew will be with me. Might be able to bring my Brother in Law if someone has a seat for him.
I am playing on being there, With one extra guy possibly another 2. Just gotta get the steering fixed on the bronco.
68 Half cab
I am planning on being there as well. I will have the cable puller and I probably have a couple of clamps, I'll take a look.
I will throw in a shovel.
And Assorted hand tools.
I can bring a cordless impact.

Could we get a few of the road closed sign from the FS to put at the bypasses?

If I think of anything else I'll post up.

Nick
'73 Bronco - trail modified
I heard from Terry today. Slight change of plans. She won't be there. We will need to do our own sign in and pick up the tools and trail passes from the host at the Kings Mtn Point camp. It is out by in the general vicinity of Arrowhead. His name is Steve and I called him today. I told him that I'd be there at 8:30am to pick up the tools and passes. This should make the day start much quicker and hopefully end sooner. I'm attaching a map of URE so you all can see where that camp is located.

Terry is supposed to be leaving an auger and the gas drill and some extra premix. As well, we will have some trail closed signs there for us and the hammer driver tool to set them in the ground.

A few questions for you all:

- What time do you want to meet/start? 9 am or sometime before? I could probably meet with Steve a bit earlier if need be. Also, it would be nice to have one other vehicle there with me as mine doesn't fit a whole lot in it.

- Who all will need trail passes for the day? Need a count so that I know how many to get from Steve.

Thanks for the input guys!

Attached Files
.pdf   badinMap6002.pdf (Size: 321.09 KB / Downloads: 50)
I would think a earliar start would be better considering the heat. I am good for 730 or 8. if anyone else is.
I'm bring the cut off wheel, impact gun and a shovel. I should have at least one other guy coming out to help. Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.
68 Half cab
I can drive the Z if we need a truck to haul post. Purty sure it will handle the trail. May be a few tight spots. I should have a shovel and a bar. I do not have a 3/4 bit but can pick one up if no one else has one. Also will bring the Chainsaw/Fuel and bar oil.
I think we should be fine without a truck. Without hearing from Nick, I think we should stick with the 9am start time, but if you guys could be to the outpost and ready by 8:30, that would be awesome. That way we could go over and get the supplies from the Kings Mtn Point camp host and be actually working by 9.

If anyone is going to be late, you can always meet us on the trail, but there will be a slight change of plans. Since we will be on the Wolf Den side of things, we should go in from that side and not go to the double parking lot. We can go in from the Wolf Den parking area and backtrack our way on Slab Pile and get to Dutch from there and go down the big hill and head out toward Wolf Den. It would be quicker than going all the way over to the double parking lot and in from Rocky Mtn Loop. It would be quicker to get to Dutch directly from Wolf Den but I think most of our work is closer to the big hill climb and would take longer to get there if we went that way.

From the list above it looks like we have everything covered except for a big drill and boring bit in case the USFS gas drill is gone or doesn't start. I don't think we will need it as the logs already have holes in them but it is a just in case type thing.

Post up if any questions come up, otherwise see you all on Sat at 8:30 sharp at the Outpost. If anyone makes it there earlier than 8:30 and has time to kill, the all-thread and hardware for us is in the outpost and we just need to get it from them. Snappy dropped it off there with Chris Cagle (the owner) the other day.
I plan n being there around 7:15 and eat some breakfast. I will ask about the threaded rod. I bought a 3/4 auger style bit today if we need it. Does anyone have a generator to run a drill with? Not likely even the best rechargeable will hold up for long turning a 3/4 bit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  URE workday Sat March 25 broncosbybart 17 5,914 05-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Sat Feb 25 URE Workday broncosbybart 4 2,135 02-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  January 2017 URE Workday broncosbybart 6 2,555 02-16-2017, 01:47 AM
  Roll call- Oct 22 URE workday broncosbybart 15 5,216 10-23-2016, 12:13 PM
  URE Work Day - July 16 2016 nhopman 16 4,793 07-18-2016, 10:03 PM
  URE work day- Sat May 21, 2016 broncosbybart 17 4,570 05-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  URE March 19-20, 2016 Work Day nhopman 45 11,789 04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: wepuckett
  Feb 20 URE winter workday broncosbybart 39 10,657 02-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Last Post: mrwarner44
  URE Winter Workday Jan 23 broncosbybart 34 8,320 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Broncitis
  Dec 12 2015- URE trail run and Rendezvous Meeting broncosbybart 22 6,988 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Last Post: chuzie