Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronco Help Around Greenwood
Glad I found this forum... Hopefully you guys can help!

I'm looking for someone around Greenwood that I can trust and knows early broncos or at least can point me in the right direction. I have a 1973 bronco - Original inline 6. I can drive it around town pretty comfortably but steering is very loose, drum brakes need work, need some engine work, overall the body is in good shape. Only a few areas of body rust. Would like to move shifter to floor???

Looking for someone to help put together a short term and long term plan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Johnathan
MikeD lives in greenwood. He deals mostly with buying and selling EB parts. I see him more on Classic Broncos website than here. Had good dealings with him.
As far as ur steering, I'd start by replacing bushing in all ur steering components, replace steering stabilizer and lastly have ur steering box rebuilt or replaced.
[SIZE="2"]77 project bronco w/ 5.0 & c4, Sagi PS, 2 hard tops, eyebrow grill [/SIZE]
WANTED: auto column, gas tank, front/ rear seats
Welcome! You will probably be best served by upgrading to power steering and disc brakes. Both will be major upgrades as far as driveability goes. Kits can be found new or pieced together to save a little money. You might be able to find a used floor shifter on Ebay or on classicbroncos. Otherwise, all the vendors have those as well. Be advised that a floor shifter does come off of the side of the trans and cuts into the driver's floor area. Not a big deal for most, but if you are a big guy it might get annoying. Nick (NicksTrix) or Chuck (blazinchuck) both do work. Nick is up here in Lake Norman and Chuck is in Charleston.
Depending on how stock the truck is you may want to leave the stock stering box. It may just need to be tighened up (there are many adjustments on steering boxes) or you may have some loose steering lincage. As for brakes it has drums on all four corners, most likely they are out of adjustment or my have a leaking wheel cyl. If realy serous about upgrading to disks check out our tech section, I wrote an artical about rear disks and have posted the how to on front disk swaps using the stock axle.
If you want to bring it down to FL, another bronco guy and I are starting a small shop for custom work (Brick City Customs). If not Nick or Chuck may be willing to help you out.
I do have a used floor shifter for sale from a 6 Cyl if your interested.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow... Thanks for the quick response. Great advice! Thanks
Here are a few other questions... Please excuse my ignorance!

As we've all experienced many times... a guy was waiting at my bronco the other day when I came back out from paying at a gas station. He told me hes owned several EB's and hes always wanted a bronco with the 170 engine like mine has and told me that if I ever changed the engine out to a v8 that he would buy the engine. My question to you all is... Is a bronco with the 302 more desirable than the 170? Eventually I'd like to take my EB offroad... Nothing crazy but I'd enjoy it. Rather than put $$$ into the 170 that has some obvious compression issues should I just get a new engine or repair the 170?

I know there are tons of factors to consider but what should I price range should expect to pay for the following including parts:

-Change drums to disk brakes
-Upgrade to power steering
-Move Shifter to floor
-Replace 170 with 302
I can tell you a shop NOT to use (unless you want to pay way too much for less than satisfying work) in your area, but I'm not going to bash anyone publicly.

Keep your eyes open on classicbroncos in the for sale section for the parts you need. The chevy front disc brake swap is very common and easy to do, but finding the right spindles can be tough and the most expensive part. I'd say disc brakes could be done (parts only) for maybe $250-300 ish. It's been a while since I looked for these parts though so this is just a guess!

Power steering is a little more expensive if you go with a ford set-up. Somebody ghetto rigged a nissan or toyota box in one of mine - it works but I'd rather have the Ford box. I think Bart has a PS box for sale now for $250. You'd still need to get a pump, bracket for the pump, and hoses. Maybe another $100-$200 for those depending on what pump etc. and if you are junkyard saavy (could all be had for less than $50 for used).

You can pick up floor shift conversions for not much on classic. Duff sells it new but I haven't looked to see what that cost.

Motor is no telling - depends on what you want. Carb or EFI? Stock or built? Lots of variables.

Welcome to Carolina Broncos!
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
All that work can be done. The front disc conversion (used) will set you back $200 to $400, depending on what you get and how much you pay for it. New kits are available from every vendor for about the $600 mark. To do it right you will also need a new proportioning valve, which will require brake line work as well.

The steering will set you back $500 or so complete, used. New stuff is probably about 1k or so.

Shifters are about $100 used. New I think around $350.

The engine will require some involved work. The 6 and 8 cyl engine mounts (on the frame) are different. The 6 and 8 cyl transmission adapters are different. The radiators are different as well. The frame mounts and radiator mounts will need to be cut off and have new ones welded in place, to do it right. Brings me to ask what you might be willing to sink into your EB or if you think it might be best to find a used one with all this done already- though they are getting harder to find at a reasonable price...
I know Matt has a shifter. I have a steering box (no accessories though) and a V-8 radiator core support.
best cheapest option for gisc is getting the used parts (caliper bracket, spindle from chevy k5-late 70's, new ford rotor/hub,bearings,brake lines, and a '79 f250 master cylinder...no need to go power assist brakes. just going from drums to manual disc is a huge improvement.

pw steering on a 170 can be a pain...maybe matt still has that set up from the 69-not sure. a stock 302 is way better than a 170 unless your going for that stock look and not planning to do a lot of highway driving. i know matt wasnt very pleased driving his on the highway...no power

welcome to the site, if you can get it to me...i work on them
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Thanks for the response guys...
I bought the bronco in May for $4000. Planning to put $2k-4k into it every year for the next few years. Just want a solid ride... not planning to build a flashy bronco just want a nice safe ride that's fun to drive around town, take fishing... I'm writing this but in a few years I'm sure I'll meet up with you guys at one of the meets with $10k more sunk into it... However I doubt it... Next May Ill have a newborn and a 2yo running around.

I need to get in touch with MikeD... Seems like he may be able to look over the truck and give me some advice.

SC74, Sounds like if I get anyone local to work on it I need to check my references first...

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Hope you all have a great week.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1996 Ford Bronco- Body Bushing Install jrshepherd 2 2,186 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Stainless/ Coated Headers needed- 1995 Bronco 351 Windsor .20 over trick flow heads jrshepherd 1 3,062 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  1977 Ford Bronco rear ended 9" rebuild Crawdad 10 4,682 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  BC Bronco Soft Top knoxville714 3 2,914 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  1996 Bronco New BSD 4" long arm lift on IFS suspension- Setting Wheelbase jrshepherd 11 3,426 01-31-2016, 03:55 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Another Bronco Floor Replacement jdowns67 83 12,249 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Last Post: jdowns67
  Mystery Bronco, need your expertise to solve 1st Bronco 2 2,717 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: 1st Bronco
  OK. I love my Bronco again Timstrk 3 2,335 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Last Post: chuzie
  Bronco techs in/near Raleigh? Mbowles 10 2,239 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Mbowles
  Looking for Troubleshooting Tips for a 79' Bronco Rear Window (Powered). UTFLIWGYA 5 4,176 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Last Post: UTFLIWGYA