Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE
Hi Chuck and Bronco brothers.....I'm finally getting on a roll with the 71 rebuild after the knarly 4X roll over down the hill last September....My fingers are fine....you really would'nt know they were smashed flat +-8 months ago....anyway, I can't wait to get back on the trail with you guys soon!!!!!

I found a sweet 67 body and am ready to order parts....:beer:

What I have to work with/what I'm thinking.....Confusedcratchhe:
I have the GT40 motor and plan to ugrade to fuel injection...(+-350HP)
I've got a 9" rear with Detroit/4:56's......D-30 front with Truetrack/4:56's...(On steriods - Yukons/CTM's) I know this is a weak link I just have so much money in it I think I will run it until she blows........
I've got a 3.5" lift/2" body....36" Superswampers
I want to convert the stock manual 3 spd to a Performance Automatic Racing C4, (Lifetime warranty!?!), with a Cheeta, reverse valve body shifter....
I'm thinking about an Atlas 5:1 T-case.....

What I think I want.....:xyxthumbs:
I want to build a versitle truck....I wnat to be able to drive to the woods via the highway, raise hell in a mud hole with plenty of wheel speed then turn right around and crawl on rocks/hills....I know, I know.....I want it all and can't have it, but if I could get it to perform better than average in both arenas I would be happy....

What transmission/T-case spec's/combination do you guy's reccommend?

THANK YOU in advance Bronco brothers....Hank (904) 237-7714
Welcome back Hank!!! I think I would go np435....or and nv4500-not a C4/atlas. If you want some rock crawling...slow is the way to go, mud is faster. Right now I can crawl and shift into 2nd or 3rd to kill the mud. However, my 38's and gearing aren't that great on the road. With 36" tires and the gearing you have with a 4sp or 5sp would be great...OD would even be better for some long highways. With a C4...I wasn't that great in either the rocks or mud. Also, you will find more and more rocks with a sloppy mud hole at the bottom that requires some serious wheel speed to climb it(2nd/3rd gear) then switch back to 1st for good gearing. Just a thought,Chuck
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Awsome advice Chuck...Thank you.....

I was thinking C-4/Atlas due to the pucker factor you get when you've stopped on a 45 degree incline and having to work the break, clutch and gas all at the same time!!! Do you have a throttle set up on you're shifter?
I've always prefered a manual trans....nothing like being able to power up and dump that clutch!!!!!

Thanks again.....Hank
This isn't green bronco hank is it?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
no this is, black beauty Hank...that rolled his bronc in Fla.
77 built 306,Trickflow Cam/Alum Heads/dome pistons/10:1comp,nv3550,duff long arms,3.5" lift,family cage,protofab rear bumper,twin sticked, and 35KM2'sG.D.I.
Humm, I dont know. I like the gears the 435 and 4500 offer, but the clutch is always a pain. I like just idling up obsticals and back down again. To me the atlas solves any gear issues, I would do the c4/atlas or replacement gears in the dana 20.
Just my 2c
broncomatt
If you are willing to pony up the dough and want to do all those things I'd look into a C4 and the STAK 3 speed.

I'm running a C4 with the Tera Low gears in the stock D-20 and like that setup realy well.

I really like an auto for the trail, There's been many times going up/down hill that I can grab another gear and it shifts quickly, in a manual if you don't pick the right gear, you're just SOL. I also truely believe that a manual tranny makes axle/driveshaft breakage more likely, I think the slip of the converter helps lessen the shock on the parts.

Nick

PS: Nice to hear you're doing better after the roll.
Good to hear from you again Hank!

The manual/auto debate has so many points to argue. PA C4's are well built trannys. And as Nick mentioned the STAK case will give you high, low, and super low ranges.

Attached Files Image(s)

'72 TBA...
THANK YOU for the advice Bronco brothers....

Chuck....Do you have a trottle set-up on you're shifter? If not, what do you think....

Nick...Any issues with C4-Stak 3 speed compatibility/ease of install that you know of? I spoke with Jim Creel with Wild Horses about the C4/Atlas 3 speed and apparently it is a major pain in the ask to install.
Good point on the clutch/over torque factor....

Bucketobolts....Good to hear from you as well my friend....I miss you guys......THANK YOU for the thoughts/pic.....

Hank
I do have a throttle on my shifter, but the damn holley has to have a strong return spring, so It's not the smoothest it could be. But, I use it often,Chuck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What to do advice Phoneman 5 2,915 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Phoneman
  A little advice rancej 5 1,599 03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Last Post: rancej
  Cam advice.... chuzie 32 10,643 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  Need Advice on 351W Headers 73Bronc 9 3,178 10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Last Post: wormhole
  Need advice on tube flaring problem... chuzie 8 1,369 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: 66stocker