Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle Seal Leak.. Again!
I continue to have issues with my right rear axle leaking. I've replaced the seal several times and made sure the vent lines are clear. I'm wondering if the housing is just shot. It definitely has some rough areas but I'm just not sure. Confusedcratchhe: Can't seem to shake this one. Am I missing anything?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lol my right rear has leaked for yrs and I've changed it many times .
I had that same problem with an old housing of mine years ago. I damaged the metal in the housing where the seal sits when I got a little overzealous with the seal removal tool. It always leaked no matter how many seals I installed. I would take a look at that area.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
That is a fairly common thing to happen in older 9"s. Sand down the areas that are mared up. Put a thin bead of silicone around the tube where the seal sits and then install the new seal. I would also check to see if the rear shaft is bent. That is extreamly common with the 28 spline shafts and larger tires. You can put it on some jack stands and use a dial indicater to see if its out much.
Good time to upgrade to Moser or Dutchman shafts if it is bent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
broncomatt Wrote:That is a fairly common thing to happen in older 9"s. Sand down the areas that are mared up. Put a thin bead of silicone around the tube where the seal sits and then install the new seal. I would also check to see if the rear shaft is bent. That is extreamly common with the 28 spline shafts and larger tires. You can put it on some jack stands and use a dial indicater to see if its out much.
Good time to upgrade to Moser or Dutchman shafts if it is bent.

Matt Are you measuring on the face of the wheel mounting flange?
68 Half cab
Also check the seal surface on the axle for grooving and wear. I have had to use a Chicago Rawhide Speedi Sleeve before.
chuzie Wrote:I had that same problem with an old housing of mine years ago. I damaged the metal in the housing where the seal sits when I got a little overzealous with the seal removal tool. It always leaked no matter how many seals I installed. I would take a look at that area.

I'm in a similar state after several of these installs. Did you have to replace it or were you able to repair it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, on the flange above the lug stud area. Should be fairly strait.
If you have mared up the inside of the axle housing you can put a thin bead of silicone on the housing where the seal sits. That will keep it from leaking by the seal.
Of course you do need to make sure there are no grooves in the axle shaft. If so you will need a sleeve kit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
moser sells sealed axle bearings with a machined grove in them with a oring that seals the bearing to the housing if you upgrade the axle shafts i would def. look at the bearings instead of the junk tapered roller bearings and seals that come with most aftermarket axle shafts
The axle was not bent but I did notice a few pits in the axle at about the same location as the seal within the housing. I filled the pits with some jb weld and sanded it smooth. Replaced the seal again and bolted everything back up. Hoping that the root cause has been addressed :notworthy:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear main seal snipes243 5 2,839 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Last Post: chuzie
  Axle Tube Vents Casey835 4 1,301 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Casey835
  ***9" Axle Gurus...Ring gear dug into pilot housing!** chuzie 7 2,248 12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: chuzie
  Axle / Gear gurus help!! SC74 4 2,342 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: SC74
  F150 axle shaft tech blazinchuck 12 2,854 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  Stuck rear axle? (9") Action 6 1,442 06-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: jollygrngiant
  rear axle shims? berg bronco 15 2,293 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  axle bluebooger 6 1,287 12-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Last Post: broncosbybart
  fuel line leak firefighter2134 5 1,262 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM