Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle leak
I continue to have a leak in my right rear axle. Does anyone know the size or product numbers for the seal and bearing? I have a feeling that my seal may be too small. I have a stock, 9" rear end.

Thanks,
Trey
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Big bearing or Med Bearing maybe small bearing??? Confusedcratchhe:

This was good to help me idnetify my axle ... :xyxthumbs:

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/rear_axle
Waiting to build or BUY another legend! :thefinger:
Always an EB fan, lover and freak :notworthy:

1985 Yoda 4Runner :xyxthumbs:
Most auto parts stores can match up the right parts using the gvw. If this isnt correct, look for a tag bolted to the center section. It may identify the axle.
There are 3 sizes depending on the year and gvw. Hope this helps.
Broncomatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'd go with the tag myself. YOu never know who has swapped what on these rigs.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
To correct, there are only 2 sizes. Large bearing and small bearing. There are 3 weight ratings. Small bearing medium duty, large bearing medium (10" drums) and heavy duty (11" drums). The small bearing housing is the same diameter as the axle tube, the large bearing flares out like a bell. Very obvious difference.

Tim
74 Bronco Ranger halfcab w/toys: lockers f&r, wristed arm, C4, D20, hyd assist steering, 37"MTRs, warm 302. Capability, that's what I'm talkin' bout.
[Image: 2rwp56f.png]
BTW check the vent tube (that bolts up the rear brake lines) as if air cant get out of it. it builds up pressure and the axle starts leaking at the bearing as it is the lowest point under pressure.I remove the fitting and run a 31-27 bit down the hole and clean out the shavings.Every leak I have had was caused by a clogged vent.
74 Sport Howell EFI & 33's sitting in the yard
73 104 in EB Buggy 5.0 SEFI ,C-4,38's Busy as Hell Building it right now.
00 Honda XR 650R For Sale.Someone buy this bad assed Bike ASAP.
03 Honda Shadow Spirit
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I pulled the driver side axle that's not leaking just to compare the bearing and seal. They look the same although the seal on the leaking axle is a bit crooked. I took the axles to the machine shop last week and the machinist suggested that the seal inside the axle housing is probably the culprit.

Before I go any further I will try the vent tube suggestion. But just in case that doesn't solve the problem, has anyone ever removed this hard rubber seal that's just inside the housing?

[Image: RearAxle2.gif]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sure. The old ones usually need some encouragement. They will usually collapse if you grab them correctly. If you use that claw-like seal puller be extra careful not to damage the housing in the process.

If it is crooked I am sure that is the reason for the leak since the rubber seems to be intact in the picture.

Make sure you clean the housing up before you install the new seal.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
chuzie Wrote:Sure. The old ones usually need some encouragement. They will usually collapse if you grab them correctly. If you use that claw-like seal puller be extra careful not to damage the housing in the process.

If it is crooked I am sure that is the reason for the leak since the rubber seems to be intact in the picture.

Make sure you clean the housing up before you install the new seal.

Every thing above is correct. The only thing that I would add is that you mentioned the axle vent. If your axle vent is not working correctly (ie Plugged) then your axle is becoming pressurized and even after replacing the seal the first time you drive it could push gear oil out again. :biggthumpup:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1977 Ford Bronco rear ended 9" rebuild Crawdad 10 4,748 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: snipes243
  Rebuilding used rear leaf springs Crawdad 5 4,079 12-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Crawdad
  Lighted rear view mirror chuzie 6 4,430 06-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Last Post: chuzie
  rear main seal snipes243 5 2,823 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Last Post: chuzie
  stock rear drums scbronco 11 2,319 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Bronco Biff
  Late 70s Cadi rear disc brakes for 77 banjo rear end Crawdad 11 3,593 01-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Crawdad
  77 EB Rear Drive Shaft Dropped - Second time in six months UTFLIWGYA 4 1,884 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Last Post: broncomatt
  Axle Tube Vents Casey835 4 1,283 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Casey835
  Grinding sound from rear end area when driving Crawdad 10 4,229 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Last Post: blazinchuck
  '94 351 Rear Main replacement JayT 5 1,477 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Last Post: JayT