Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C4 Trans Dipstick Tube
Why do the simple projects turn into complicated tasks and what you think will be a PITA isn't bad at all.

The PO of my crawler project welded a bung into a c4 pan for the dipstick - not sure why but the booger welds on the bung to the thin pan match all of his other booger welds at least. I assume since it leaked he proceeded to JB Weld around it like it is caulk and it has leaked since I've owned it.

I bought a B&M deep pan to fix the leak and upgrade at the same time. My filler tube was already touching the exhaust (short headers) trying to cram between the bell housing and exhaust. The new pan required an adapter to convert to the right thread which pushes the filler tube out another 3/4" and right into the exhaust.

I considered making my own flexible tube and got to thinking how I would make sure the stock dipstick would still show the correct reading when checked. The stock set-up dip stick does not come out of the tube, but actually measures the trans fluid level in the tube. Therefore the 90 deg bend when it exits the pan is essential in order to keep the fluid level correct on the stick. That's where my problem is - right at top of the 90* bend. I considered running straight out of the pan, under the exhaust, and come up on the outside of the exhaust rather than b/w the exhaust and bell housing, but then the dip stick levels would not read correctly. The same goes for if I bought a lokar flexible line - how do they know you are going to route it so that the levels are correct?

I'm hoping I can shorten the leg of the 90 going into the pan and re-flare it to make-up the difference, but still confused as to how a flexible line would give the correct measurement??
'74 Grocery Getter, '73 Project Buggy, '77 Parts Rig

[Image: Bannerpic.jpg]
Would a lokar work for you to eliminate the adapter?
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

[Image: sig2.jpg]
I could use a lokar, but I would route it out straight - under my exhaust - and up on the outside of my exhaust. I think it would still require the thread adapter though.

by routing it straight fore 5-6" rather than turning up, the dip stick would be lower and show "full" when it is supposed to be higher and require more fluid - if that makes sense?

I see what you mean. I bet they would have something that will work without the adapter though. If the adapter is the only thing putting you in the exhaust, that may be the route. Also, you can tell them the issue and they will likely have a solution if you do have to extend horizontally from the pan. It may be just a matter of snipping the dip stick but you will need a baseline measurement first which I assume is shot now that the new pan is installed.

Actually, can't you just use the old dipstick and tube, measure where the bottom of the stick resides in the vertical plan and then duplicate the new stick to reside in the same vertical position? The level should be the same in the tube (vertically) regardless of the diameter or horizontal distance from the pan.
'77 351w- Explorer EFI, 4R70W, 4-link, lockers, 4.56, 35" MT/Rs with a severe rock addiction.Confusedmokin:

Yes, I can measure the vertical distance above the pan to where it should read with the stock set-up and then duplicate it. I just called lokar and their flexible line does come with a 90 deg hard fitting that the flex line connects to. He said it has to in order to keep the fluid levels correct so he at least had some sense and knew what he was talking about. I told him my situation and he said that I could shorten their 90 deg fitting and re-flare it and it will still read right b/c it reads the level in the vertical section of the tube. I'm still going to see if I can make my own now just to see if I can!

Sweet. Go for it and let us know what you come up with.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Automatic Trans: Why does the engine die as soon as I put it in Park or Neutral???? UTFLIWGYA 6 3,831 05-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Last Post: rbodine
  cummins to a ford small block standard trans adapter plate Rdnckdemo 2 1,101 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Rdnckdemo
  Axle Tube Vents Casey835 4 1,303 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Casey835
  Help identifying trans jdowns67 1 907 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Last Post: JayT
  Please educate me on 3 speed trans RAT & RAN? Mill Knob 11 5,907 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Mill Knob
  c4 trans filter change spring and thing! jrshepherd 2 2,111 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Last Post: jrshepherd
  Kick Down Tube C4 jrshepherd 4 3,404 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bucketobolts
  C4 Trans. Cooler Fittings jrshepherd 14 3,735 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
  Need advice on tube flaring problem... chuzie 8 1,348 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: 66stocker
  Question: Trans lines and Gas tank jrshepherd 0 1,411 08-24-2009, 10:22 PM